PLACES TO VISIT AT MALDA
Place to Visit :

There are number of places to visit at Malda which has some historical importance. The main among them are GOUR, ADINA, PANDUA, and recently explored JAGJIBANPUR.

 

Sl No.

Name of the Places to Visit

Brief description of the Place

1

Ramkeli

 

(Situated at a distance of nearing 14 Km from Malda towards south)

A small village on the way to Gour, Ramkeli is famous for being the temporary home of Sri Chaitanya, the great religious reformer of Bengal, where he had stayed for a few days on his way to Brindaban. A conglomeration of two tamal and two kadamba trees can still be seen, under which the saint is said to have meditated. A small temple constructed under this tree contains Sri Chaitanya's footprints on stone. There are eight kundas or tanks flanking the temple. These are named as Rupsagar, Shyamkunda, Radhakunda, Lalitakunda, Bishakhakunda, Surabhikunda, Ranjakunda and Indulekhakunda. Every year, on the Jaishthya Sankranti, celebrations are held here to commemorate the arrival of Sri Chaitanya. A week-long fair also starts on this day.

2

Gour

 

(Situated at a distance of 16 km. south of Malda town on the border with Bangladesh. Gour came into prominence as the 7th century capital of King Shashanka, and was the capital of ancient Bengal for several centuries.)

Baroduari / Boro Sona Mosque Baroduari mosque is half a kilometre to the south of Ramkeli. A gigantic rectangular structure of brick and stone, this mosque is the largest monument in Gour. Though the name means Twelve Doors, this monument actually has eleven. The construction of this huge mosque, measuring 50.4 m. by 22.8 m., and 12 m. in height, was started by Allauddin Hussein Shah and was completed in 1526 by his son Nasiruddin Nusrat Shah. The Indo-Arabic style of architecture and the ornamental stone carvings make Baroduari a special attraction for tourists.
Dakhil Darwaja Dakhil Darwaza, an impressive gateway built in 1425, is an important Muslim monument. Made of small red bricks and terracotta work, this dominating structure is more than 21 m. high and 34.5 m. wide. Its four corners are topped with five-storey high towers. Once the main gateway to a fort, it opens through the embankments surrounding it. In the south-east corner of the fort, a 20-m. high wall encloses the ruins of an old palace. In the past, cannons used to be fired from here. Hence the gate also came to be known as the Salaami Darwaza
Firoz Minar A kilometre away from the Dakhil Darwaza, is the Feroze Minar. It was built by Sultan Saifuddin Feroze Shah during 1485-89. This five-storey tower, resembling the Qutb Minar, is 26 m. high and 19 m. in circumference. The first three storeys of the tower have twelve adjacent faces each, and the uppermost two storeys are circular in shape. A spiralling flight of 84 steps takes one to the top of the tower. Built in the Tughlaqi style of architecture, the walls of Feroze Minar are covered with intricate terracotta carvings. This landmark is also known as the Pir-Asha-Minar or the Chiragdani.
Chamkati Masjid     
Chika Mosque Sultan Yusuf Shah built the Chika Mosque in 1475. The name originated from the fact that it used to shelter a large number of chikas, or bats. It is a single-domed edifice, almost in ruins now. The beautifully ornate carvings on the walls and the images of Hindu idols on the stonework of doors and lintels are still partly visible. The mosque also bears traces of Hindu temple architecture
Luko Churi Gate The Lakhchhipi Darwaza or Lukochuri Gate is located to the south-east of the Kadam Rasool Mosque. Shah Shuja is said to have built it in 1655 in the Mughal architectural style. The name originated from the royal game of hide-and-seek that the Sultan used to play with his begums. According to another school of historians, it was built by Allauddin Hussein Shah in 1522. Situated on the eastern side of the royal palace, this double-storeyed Darwaza functionally acted as the main gateway to the palace. The innovative architectural style makes it an interesting place to visit.
Kadam Rasul Mosque Half a kilometre away from the Feroze Minar is the Kadam Rasool Mosque. Aptly named Kadam Rasool, which means Footprints of the Prophet, the mosque contains the footprints of Hazrat Muhammad on stone. On the four corners there are four towers made of black marble, with the spires on top covered with intricate artwork. Sultan Nasiruddin Nusrat Shah built the mosque in 1530.

Opposite the Kadam Rasool Mosque stands the 17th century tomb of Fateh Khan, a commander of Aurangzeb's army. This interesting structure was built in the Hindu chala style.

A short distance away is the elegant Tantipara Mosque, with its intricate terracotta decoration.
Lattan Mosque Lattan Mosque, legend attributes the building of this mosque to a dancing girl of the royal court. However, historians believe it was built by Sultan Shamsuddin Yusuf Shah in 1475. Traces of intricate mina work in blue, green, yellow, violet and white on the enamelled bricks lining the outer and inner walls are still visible. The splendour of colours has also led to the Mosque being called the Painted Mosque. Another interesting feature of this mosque is its arched roof, supported by octagonal pillars.
Kotwali Darwaja  
Gumti Darwaza Standing to the north-east of the Chika Mosque, the Gumti Darwaza was built in 1512 by Allauddin Hussein Shah. Made of brick and terracotta, the once brilliant colours woven into the artwork are still partly visible. It is said that real gold was used in the decorations. The Darwaza, however, is closed to the public now.

3

Adina

 

(Situated at 15 km north of Malda town)

Adina Dear Park  
Hamamghar  
Turkey Bath Room ( 17th Centuries)     
Pandab Dallan    Minar  
Atbart Dighi.      
Adina Mosque Adina Masjid, built in 1369 by Sultan Sikander Shah. One of the largest mosques in India, it also typifies the most developed mosque architecture of the period, the orthodox design being based on the great 8th century mosque of Damascus. Carved basalt masonry from earlier Hindu temples is used to support the 88 brick arches and 378 identical small domes.

4

Pandua

 

( Situted at 18 Km north of Malda town)

Kutubshahi Masjid     Qutb Shahi Mosque, locally known as the Chhoto Sona Masjid, built to honour saint Nur Qutb-ul-Alam. The ruins of his shrine are nearby, along with that of Saint Hazrat Shah Jalal Tabrizi, collectively known as the Bari Darga.
Eklakhi Mausoleum The Eklakhi Mausoleum is the most elegant monument in Pandua. One of the first square brick tombs in Bengal, with a carved Ganesh on the doorway, it is the tomb of the convert son of a Hindu Raja.

5

Jagjibanpur

( Situated at about 30 km from Malda town towards south east on Habibpur Block)